Monday, November 07, 2005

Happy Birthday Finley!

Finley's Birth Story:

My labor with Finley was not at all like my labor with Piper. On Friday afternoon I started having very mild contractions that didn't even slow me down at all. They closest they got were 10 minutes apart so I didn't even count that as labor. On Saturday we decided take Piper to the park and walk around the amphitheater in Cocoa Village to see it a good walk would get the labor going and the contractions closer together. There were a few times that I had to actually stop and breathe through the contractions, but I was more excited than feeling any pain.

Later that afternoon I decided that it was time to get the show on the road and we took a VERY brisk walk around the neighborhood and got the contractions to 6 minutes apart, but when we got home, they puttered out to 10 minutes again. By this point I was getting tired and I thought I was in for a long haul. I called the labor and delivery floor to ask them what I should do because I was in labor, sort of. The advised that until I was having contractions 3-5 minutes apart consistently for at least an hour, I needed to stay home and labor there, no matter if it took a billion days. Honestly, I asked them, "How long do I continue like this...forever until they are that close together?" I was a little miffed.

Finally at around 10:30pm the labor took off and I was having EXTREMELY painful contractions 2-3 minutes apart. What happened to the 3-5 minute apart thing? Skipped it. Needed to get to the hospital ASAP. Called my mom and dad and brother to come stay at the house with Piper until Jason's mom and sister could come because he was closer and we had to leave like yesterday.

Off to the hospital and into the ER because it was after hours and they wanted me to sign in and stuff and there I was doubled over in pain, right. Up to L&D and into the room breathing through contractions that were one on top of the next. I never intended for a drug-free birth, believe me, so when the nurse came in I asked (while shaking because I was in transition) her to check me so that they could (insert laughing) call the anesthesiologist for my epidural (more laughing, hysterical laughter even).

"Honey, I'll check you but I'm telling you that there is probably not time for the epidural," the nurse said while giving my mother this look. A look that said "Yeah, this baby is coming now."

I was 7-8 cm dilated. No drugs. Too late.

12:15am - checked into hospital

12:25am - 8cm dilated

12:30am - 9cm

12:35am - 10cm

12:40am - waiting for the doctor and MY DAD (he didn't believe me that I was really having the baby right NOW!) to get there to have this baby.

Pushed for 8 minutes

12:50am - Welcome to the world Finley Claire!

More to come!

No comments: