Wednesday, August 24, 2005

As if

there is this woman that is really starting to annoy me. I was told by a mutual friend that this woman is convinced that I have named my children from a certain TV show that I have never seen and will never watch because it is about witches and as you can conclude from previous posts, witches are not one of my interests. As if I would name my beautiful daughter after a witch?

The whole coincidence thing is that the actress that plays the witch character with the same name as my daughter...well the actress had a baby boy and named him Finley. So the actress that plays Piper has a boy named Finley. It is weird, I know, and it would be a logical conclusion to say that I derived their names from that, but I DIDN'T. And, this woman has been told that NUMEROUS times by NUMEROUS people and yet she still feels the need to bring it up with people that are mutual friends. Just to be clear, Piper's name was a name I had always liked and Finley's name came from some liner notes in a CD. If she had been a boy her name would have been Finn (we call her that anyways) and to make it more feminine I made into Finley after Finley Quaye, who as it turns out is a British black man.

And oh how I wish that were the end of the story but there is more. This woman recently had a baby girl. This woman named her daughter...PIPER! At first I didn't know if I should be flattered or pissed off because we travel in somewhat of the same cirlces (not all that often espeically now) and I know her from when I was teaching and there is a chance that our children will go to the same school and the name Piper isn't like the popular names Madison or Emily or Olivia or whatever. People know my child partly because she has a unique name and I like it that way and I guess this woman wanted the same for her baby but everyone will know that my Piper is the original. So at Mom's Day Out there is a Finley and a Piper in the same class. Geez. It isn't so original when you steal it from someone else.The funny thing is when I see this woman while picking up our children, she will not say her child's name in front of me. It reminds me of this article I read about names picked by parents and how it is realted to socio-economics... like the name starts in the upper-class and slowly works its way down the ladder. So where does that put her on the ladder? She did name her child after a witch, you know.

I am mean, I know...wonder if this woman reads my blog?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well if my opinion counts... i think that Piper and Finley have amazing names. They are unique and special just like them.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you posted about me. I chose that name because I love the show "Charmed" not because I am copying you. Gosh.

I'm Shannon said...

uhm, yeah, ok. anonymous?