Friday, February 11, 2005

Incognito

I was reading through some blogs today...just random blogs...and a thought came to my mind. That thought was that you can be anybody you want to be on a blog and nobody would know the difference. You could tell the whole truth, a half-truth, or just a flat out lie and nobody would know.

You could make your life sound oo good to be true or make is sound like a life that nobody would want to live. You could evoke jealousy or pity. Who is there to hold you accountable for what you say or what you don't say and leave out?

The snag is when you reveal to friends and family that know you intimately that, "Oh, I have this blog...you should go read it and let me know what you think." Those are the people that are going to call you on whatever you write.

I guess I started to ask myself, what is the purpose of this blog. And I came up with a few answers:
  1. It is a way to share my immediate family with other parts of my family that I do not talk with on a regular basis...they can see pictures, read stories, and get to know my kids without physically being here.
  2. It is a permanent record of what goes on in my house that I can refer back to and remember that time that Piper pooped in the tub.
  3. It is an outlet for me to complain, praise, or lament over issues in my life.
  4. It is something that my kids can look back at and find out what they were like when they were little.
  5. It is a way to connect with others in the "virtual" world that I otherwise would not have met in my lifetime.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are just the first ones that came to mind. I guess what I'm saying is that this is not something I want to use to promote my own personal agenda. It is something that I hope brings a little bit of joy and a smile to those who read it and maybe we can all learn from each other.

No comments: