Saturday, March 11, 2006

pride

I went to a baby shower last night and I was surrounded by pregnant women and women with little ones and my heart ached for my girls. I missed them although the time away was fun, catching up with old friends, meeting new people and just taking a moment to breath and relax. Most of the women I visited with are former colleagues of mine from when I was teaching. It's funny how some things never change but other things are continuously changing. When I left the school I had a tiny one and she's now three with a little sister. It was a lovely shower.

The best part about it, however was when the mommy-to-be was opening her gifts. She has a little boy a few months older than Finley and now she is having a little girl. I'm not certain, but I'm fairly sure that I have never seen so much PINK in one place at one time. But the very very best part was when she opened my gift.

Now, I have just really started this crafting and sewing phase (I hope it won't be just a phase) where I actually make things for other people and not just keep things at home too embarrassed to show anyone else. For my friend I made a bib, 2 burp cloths, a blanket and a bag that held all the goodies. I also included some Baby Bee Burt's Bees baby potions and a book for the older brother. Most of the items I made were monogrammed with an "r" for the babe's intended name (boy am I glad that she hadn't changed her mind about the name). What was so great about it was when she opened it she said to me, "Shannon, where did you find these things that have the letter on it and such a cute print?" I felt hotness creeping up my neck to my face and answered nonchalantly (sp.?), "Oh, I made them," as not to draw attention to that fact. Her eyes got big and teary and then her mom announced to the whole party, "These are from Shannon, and she MADE them."

I was so so embarrassed and at the same time patting myself on the back. It felt really good to be complimented with the "oh, these are beautiful" and "you could so sell these" and "I'm calling you when I need a baby gift". It isn't very often that I feel such confidence and pride about something, like I really did it!

I hear Piper and teach Piper about the emotional coaching and putting words to her feelings and you will very often hear her say things like "I did it" or "I'm really excited" or "that make me very frustrated" and I think it is so good that she can express herself with these words and I'm trying to model it more for her but in the process learning it for myself. It's ok to feel really proud of something and toot your own horn once in a while. Not only is it ok, but it is important to "use your words" to give a voice to your feelings. Before you can be heard, you have to speak.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO cool! Congratulations! It sure is nice to have those types of things noticed - really nice!

And excellent words of advice! "Before you can be heard, you have to speak."

Anonymous said...

hi shannon,
i'm your recipe swap partner. i have been trying to get in contact with you by email. thought i would try your blog instead.

Anonymous said...

hi again...i tried to email you twice. just wanted to confirm mailing address and ask you a few questions...is there anything you just hate to eat and favorite color? could you try to email me through my blog? don't want us to have to put personal info up. btw, am i your partner, too or do you have someone else? your "bug" and my "babybug"...we have something in common :)