Thursday, July 14, 2005

They Say It's Your Birthday


Today is my brother, Matt's, birthday. He's my little brother, the one I endlessly bossed around, but hey he did what I told him...good boy!

Matt and I were both adopted and I remember the story my mom always tells that a few days after Matt came home I said to everyone, "Ok, can we give him back now because someone else needs a turn." Hey, at least I was willing to share...quite an accomplishment for a 2 year old.

We were referred to as "the little kids" in our family because our two older brothers were at lest 7 years older and they were "the big kids." Matt and I did not always get along but then again I don't seem to play well with others who try to take the spotlight from me so that about sums that up.

When Matt was born he was like 3 months premature and had all kinds of problems, they didn't think he would live. My dad was his pediatrician in the hospital before they air-lifted him to a major medical center. My dad didn't know then that Matt would become his son.

Matt had open heart surgery on his tiny little body. He suffered a stroke and was not supposed to live, but God had other plans for that baby. Who would have thought that he would graduate from high school and then graduate from college and then become a sports reporter for a newspaper (I found him the job, thank you very much)? Matt has had his fair share of struggles and I am so very proud of him for persevering through the difficult times to continue searching for the prize that God has for his life. He is the definition of a miracle.

All that's left is finding him the right girl, and I'm working on that but if you know anybody let me know, but remember they will be scrutinized by me because not just anyone is good enough for my baby brother.

Piper adores her uncle Matt and always wants to play with him and sort of bosses him around just like I used to do...good thing he had all that practice. I'm glad he has stuck around where we live because I know that if I ever needed anything I could call him and he would help, no matter what.

So,

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday dear Matt
Happy Birthday to You!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.