Sunday, March 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Grandma!

It has been quite some time since I posted about anything that I've made, but maybe that's because I haven't really had time to make anything. I finally took the Bernina's virginity.

Jason's Mom's birthday is the day after mine or this past Friday and we went over to visit and deliver her gift this afternoon. Some of her favorite things: A bamboo tray with a handmade quilted mat, a Le Creuset tea pot, a handmade tea pot cozy, a vintage Buffalo China cup and saucer, some locally made Hibiscus tea, some local honey and a wooden honey stirrer thingy, and a mix cd that I made just for her including:

1. These are Days – 10,000 Maniacs
2. Joy to the World – Three Dog Night
3. City of Blinding Lights – U2
4. Trouble Me – 10,000 Maniacs
5. Cecilia – Simon & Garfunkle
6. Beautiful – G.Love
7. Never Going Back Again – Fleetwood Mac
8. Bubble Toes – Jack Johnson
9. Falling Over Evening – Six Parts Seven
10. Fields of Gold - Sting
11. Stars – The Weepies
12. My Own Two Hands – Ben Harper and Jack Johnson
13. Satisfy my Soul – Bob Marley
14. Satellite – Dave Matthews Band
15. Pink Moon – Nick Drake
16. Free Fallin’ – Stevie Nicks
17. Wildflowers – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
18. Living in Twilight – The Weepies


This weekend we went to a quilt show at the local community college. There were some beautiful quilts and lots of vendors as well, my favorite being the one who sold all vintage fabric and vintage feedsack but at rather steep prices and whiny little girls I was too overwhelmed to pick out and purchase anything. The downside to the show was all the older cranky ladies that dominated the room. It was very discouraging that these women had such bad attitudes because there art is one that is so important to preserve and pass on and personally I had no desire to spend anymore time there than I had to, but that is a whole other can of worms to talk about. Also, I was disappointed that there weren't any modern designed quilts or modern fabric used in any of the traditional quilts. The quilts were beautiful but in my opinion, a bit boring.

The highlight of the day was happening upon a little shop in the small downtown. It is owned and run by a young couple with a bitty baby. They have completely restored the building (the husband is a general contractor by trade) which was originally a hardware store. It took them 4 years and they live above the shop and the shop was AMAZING! I honestly felt like a fool all tripping over myself about how excited I was to find this jewel. I'm sure the guy thought I was a little looney, but whatever. They sell everything vintage at almost thrift store prices. They sell everything that I look for in the thrift stores and can't find. I ended up with a smock type apron, some jumbo yellow ric-rac, and some bias tape. I will return, I just hope that they are still in business by the time I get down there again. It was inspiring and now I feel stupid, like "if you like it so much, why don't you marry it?"

oh, and now I am 28 as of last Thursday. And I got a haircut and my toes are pretty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Shannon!! I hope it was a wonderful day filled with lots of love, cake and surprises!! That gift that you put together for your mother n' law is beautiful, especially because it looks like you put so much thought into it.